Nebraska ProStart program helps high school students get a taste for success in an industry hungry for talent. Nebraska ProStart has 36 high schools with more than 700 students are enrolled. In addition, nearly 125 students have taken part in a 400-hour internship program. Ninety percent of our graduated ProStart students either continue their education or start jobs in the hospitality industry.
ProStart is a two year program for high school juniors and seniors. Students delve into everything from management skills, the preparation of soups and sauces to sanitation, accounting, inventory control and customer service.
These classes are taught in the high school classroom and are reinforced through paid internships in local restaurants.
Mentors are seasoned restaurant employees who take a special interest in a young person and help them reach established goals.
ProStart benefits students in a number of ways.
• Paid work experience.
• Marketable skills.
• Opportunities to receive higher paying jobs.
• Funding for a college education.
• Educates students about food service careers, and post -secondary education options.
• A portfolio of skills that can lead to more challenging and higher paying careers.
• An industry-recognized certificate from the National Restaurant Association.
• Self-confidence, respect, and a sense of responsibility.